No, seriously why roller derby indeed. I'm sure my mum would like to know as she doesn't want me to get into it.
There's many reasons why I love and want to do roller derby. I mean, have you seen a bout? It's bursting with awesomeness. If you haven't seen a bout, I encourage you to go have a family outing one night to see one. Yes, roller derby bouts are family friendly! If you really want to see a bout from your own home check these out on youtube.
Back to the reasons why I want to do roller derby;
- It's fun and you have to be fit. I have never been fit or very healthy so this is all new to me. I've done a lot of sports but never stuck with any of them. Netball was the only sport I've done after school and I sucked. If I wasn't getting knocked out by my own team mate (yep, nearly every game) I was 'too aggressive' when defending. So roller derby sounds awesome. You get to beat people up while skating and getting fit. Win, win, win!
- Being in a team that supports each other. It may be my idealistic view of teams but each team I've seen are so supportive of each other. Everyone has to work together to get more points than the other team on the board.
- I love to skate. Inline, rollerblading, or ice-skating that is. You know the saying 'it's just like riding a bike'? Well, I've forgotten how to ride a bike but never forgotten how to rollerblade or ice-skate. Rollerblading is NOT the same as rollerskating though. Rollerskating is harder and I suck. BUT I will get better and that excites me!
- The confidence. Roller derby girls are SO confident. They aren't over confident/stuck up though, they're comfortably confident. Comfortable being themselves, true. All the roller derby girls I've spoken to are so easy to talk to, I could sit down and spend hours just talking about anything and everything without feeling stupid or that I'm being judged. That is awesome.
- Socialising and meeting awesome people. Roller derby is FULL of awesome people. Yeah there are assholes like in every social setting. It's similar to blogging and bloggers, the majority of us are awesome but there are some who just suck at being nice. I want to know these people, the nice ones that is.
- My body type. I'm a pear, no boobs with hips, thighs and a booty. It's a good thing in roller derby. Finally I have found confidence in myself thanks to a sport that isn't just for skinny, athletic, ruler shaped chicks. It's for all body shapes and sizes. That is definitely something that should be celebrated!
- The awesome clothes. I can't say this hasn't been a reason. The outfits are wicked and individual even though each team has a uniform. No two roller derby girls look the same and I love that. What some girls wear I won't wear and vice versa. I love the socks but I'll be wearing tights as my skates are too tight, see individual.
So I ask why not roller derby?